5 Natural Hair Tips





So you're transitioning. In my opinion, it was one of the hardest parts of going natural. You have to resist the urge to put heat on your hair...you have to deal with different hair textures (curly roots, wavy middle and straight ends)...& my personal favorite, if you're in the south, you have to worry about everyone's mouth *rolls eyes*. It's okay. Take a deep breath. I understand your pain. Here are 5 tips to help you along the way:

1) Protective Styles: Whenever I was transitioning, I wore sew-ins faithfully. Every month, I had my mom doing my hair. Now I didn't realize that I was still damaging my hair by straightening the leave out but it was better than getting a relaxer. Protective styles such as sew-ins, braids, twist, etc. protect the ends of your hair which is the oldest part of your hair. Have you ever heard that your hair grows the fastest when you leave it alone? Well that isn't a myth.

2) Avoid Heat: Heat is extremely damaging to the hair. Whenever you decide to straighten your hair you are actually denaturing the proteins in your hair. Your hair is composed of keratin (polypeptide chain) which is a molecule that strengthens the hair. When heat is applied to the hair, it breaks the hydrogen that holds the polypeptide bond together, causing heat damage. So put down the flatiron. Your curls will thank you.

3) H2O: I cannot stress this enough...DRINK WATER. I use water on my hair daily. It is a natural, pure moisturizer. Not only does your hair need direct water contact but indirect as well. Drinking water is so vital for the overall health of your hair. The average person is suppose to drink eight 8 ounce glasses of water a day. Water helps hydrate the body which leads to proper blood flow which lead to hair growth. Two claps for H2O!

4) Use Silk: It is so important to use a silk bonnet or a silk pillowcase on your hair nightly. You can purchase both of these items at Walmart or Dollar General for about $2-$3. I would recommend getting about 3 silk bonnets. I keep one in each suitcase & 2 in my bathroom drawers. I'm always losing one so this works for me! Laying on a plain cotton pillowcase causes friction to the hair which results in hair loss. Don't be a lazy bear. Wear your silk bonnet.

5) Workout: The gym is your friend. Walk a mile, run a mile, do some jumping jacks. Do whatever, but workout. Whenever you exercise, it causes the body to release serotonin which is the happy hormone. Through exercise, blood flow is increased through your body as well as reaching your scalp. So don't worry about "sweating your hair out". That's a good thing. So work it out, sista!


I'm not at all a natural hair expert but his is what has helped me throughout my natural hair journey! Until next time, love one another.



*Disclaimer: I do not own the photos presented in this blog. I do not intently commit fraudulence. I just want to simply encourage.(:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fake it 'til you make it?

I'll Trust You, Lord.